Monday, May 5, 2008

4OT Week-end Review

It was an action packed marathon week-end on the Sackside with all kinds of activities with friends and family. To post week-end thoughts into one post will be a challenge and maybe a marathon too...kinda like the Stars vs Sharks in Game 6 last night.

Let's drop the puck!

1OT - Resurfacing the curling scene - Here's the rundown. Carruthers joins Kammerlock leaving his old team without a skip (rumor is Daley Peters will be skipping). I think this is a stupid move for Carruthers. It has been suggested that tensions ran high last season and a change was in the works. It didn't sound that way when Carruthers gave his team the vote of confidence when the spot on Stoughton's team became available. Kammerlock must be really happy he has someone to play with. Now they will seek a front end. David Hamblin won't be on it because he bolted Team Axial for the Bohn twins. Dennis will play second and David Hamblin will play third. I think this is a good move for Team Bohn. They improve their team from last year and Hamblin brings experience, poise, intelligence and the touch shot to the runback double doubles. The friendly handshake and "good game" could be a little cold on the curling sheets this coming season with all the shake-ups.

2OT - The NHL final four is set. I went 4 for 5 last round only missing the Sharks who tanked in round 2 and spoiled yet another good regular season.

Detroit (1) vs Dallas (5) - The Wings haven't had much competition yet and/or have been lucky facing opponents with major injury issues. The Stars just seem to line up each night for Dallas.

Pick Dallas in 6

Pittsburgh (1) vs Philadelphia (6) - The Penguins have all the skill in the world but Philly has a balance of skill and grit. I think this will be a great series but it may a short one. Does that make sense? Sure it does, good games but Pittsburgh ends up on top too many times early for a long series.

Pick Pittsburgh in 5

30T - Special Olympics & Wine festival - This year my friends hosted a wine tasting evening on the week-end of the Winnipeg Wine Festival. It was a fantastic evening with close friends, great wine and tasty food. It conflicted with the wine festival but we knew that in advance. In each of the past few years we have supported the Wine Festival and Special Olympics. I think it's one of Winnipeg's premiere events of the year and it's for a good cause. I have to say I much rather enjoyed tasting wine in my friend's basement though. Everyone did a great job selecting wine and presenting it to the group and my friends were the perfect hosts as usual. During the evening we began making plans for a trip to Brandon, MB to play the Special Olympic softball Comets, coached by my brother. We will pass the hat around at the ball diamond to support the Comets. You see, Special Olympics doesn't lose out on us skipping the wine show and it's more than a monetary donation. We provide some tune up games and get to know some players as well. So the evening was win win all around. I gotta brag here...I've got really good friends. I just wish they would let a dude off the hook for not wearing a collared shirt.

4OT - Friday Night Lights every night - My wife and I picked up FNL Season 2 this week-end. We watched the first two episodes last night when we finally had some down time with the Prince of Sackville sacked out. The first two episodes left me confused, frustrated, annoyed, excited, uncomfortable, and it was awkward. So, since it's a high school tv drama the show has either done a perfect job of making you feel the lives of the characters or it just sucked and is an example of tv writers jamming the season premiere and follow up episode with loads of story lines then using the middle of the season to sort it all out. Basically they put all their bait out in 2 hours to hook you in. Time will tell which it is.

I'm done. Just like Thornton and the Sharks.

1 comment:

The Hack said...

"I just wish they would let a dude off the hook for not wearing a collared shirt."

I tried my best to help you out buddy by spilling a little on mine, declassing it up and all.