Thursday, February 12, 2009

Seeds and Draw for Safeway Championship

The top 16 teams were announced today along with the Safeway Championship draw. As usual, Resby has the complete coverage of the seeds, draw, and team personnel.

Below is a summary of how I did predicting the seeds. Only the top 16 teams were announced and I'm not positive how they come up with the bottom 16 but I'm going to make the assumption that the #1 seed plays the #32 seed and work backwards.

8 teams picked right
#1 Burtnyk, #2 Stoughton, #3 McEwen, #9 Peters, #12 Neufeld, #13 Gailbrath, #17 W. Lyburn, #32 Hyrich.

13 teams off by 1 spot
#4 Nicholls, #5 Carruthers, #6 Bohn, #7 A. Lyburn, #11 Taylor, #20 Scales, #23 Hyde, #24 Warren, #25 Muntain, #26 Friesen, #29 Cosens, #30 Asham, #31 Magnusson.

4 teams off by 2 spots
#10 Boehmer, #16 Robertson, 18 Woodward, #27 Pauls

7 teams off by more than 2 spots
#8 McNamee, #14 Skinner, #15 Sigurdson, #19 Riach, #21 Zawada, #22 Madams, #28 Smith

21 out of 32 picks were no more than 1 spot off. I think that's pretty good!

2 quick thoughts on the draw - the Q2 group looks like a killer with McEwen, Bohn, Taylor, Madams, Skinner, and Riach. 4 really good young skips and 2 solid veterans. How about the Murray Warren vs Daley Peters matchup. That's great!!

I can't wait for the action to start. I'm going to make my predictions following a Select pool with my curling team...can't give out any spoilers.

No comments: