I don't anticipate any big surprises at the Safeway Championship in Selkirk on the week-end. I'm saying that going on the feedback from curlers that there are several good teams that can win on any given draw. So a team not seeded in the top 10 could win the Provincials and I don't think that can be declared a surprise. However, with critical CRTS points on the line I feel either Burtnyk or Stoughton will prevail. Of the two teams I think Burtnyk is in an easier bracket to advance without a scare. Others that I feel will qualify are all top 10 teams.
Q1 = Stoughton
Q2 = McEwen
Q3 = Nicholls
Q4 = Burtnyk
Q5 = A. Lyburn - but I also think Boehmer or Sigurdson could just as easily qualify.
Q6 = Taylor - I think it's a toss up between Taylor and Skinner.
Q7 = Carruthers - but don't be surprised by an upset in this bracket..maybe Galbraith or Neufeld.
Q8 = Peters - I'm betting this guy has fun and Gunner plays lights out and the Westman teams (McNamee, Robertson, W. Lyburn) fade out.
I guess I can be guilty of riding the favorites a bit. My playoff and championship predictions has both Burtnyk and Peters facing Carruthers. Would that be great drama. I think McEwen and Stoughton will face each other twice with the veteran staying in front of the rising star on both occasions. I don think Mike can avenge his semi final loss to Burtnyk a year ago and bounce the reigning champ on championship Sunday morning.
It all starts tomorrow.
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment