Team Canada blasted Team Czech Republic on Boxing Day to the tune of 8-1. It was my first experience watching a game on PVR. I was at my in-laws for Christmas and with Turkey dinner scheduled for about the time of puck drop I PVR'd the game and we watched later that night while playing a rousing game of Taboo. The play/pause/fast forward/rewind features were great and made it possible to juggle family time with WJC time. I'm totally in love with PVR now.
Back to the game. TSN did a great job as usual in covering the game and summarizing it. I couldn't agree more with the three outcomes that came out of the first round game:
1. Veteran players stepped up and lead the way. ANY junior hockey team is only as good as their veteran players.
2. Big guns were firing. John Taveres was simply awesome and that's good to see. So many times a highly touted player starts out in a slump and with the tournament of this magnitude it's difficult to break a slump (remember Rico Fata in Brandon/Wpg). Taveres will be the tournament MVP and Top Forward.
3. Balanced scoring. Another flaw in some teams has been the reliance of 1 scoring line. I prefer to see a balanced approach and it looks like Pat Quinn has that going for this team.
So 1-0 as anticipated. Next up - Team Kazak. This is a game to work on the PP and just hope you get over without any injuries.
Sunday, December 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment