I saw The Love Guru yesterday afternoon. It was pretty much exactly what I expected. There were some great parts and some really bad parts. Gross humor, slapstick, celebrity cameos, spoofs, etc. It was sort of like Wayne's World 2 meets a blend of the Austin Powers trilogy (especially Goldmember). Overall, I liked the movie and enjoyed myself.
Everyone played their part really well from Myers (Guru Pitka) to Alba (hottie Leaf owner Jane Bullard) toTimberlake (French Cdn goalie Jacques Le Coq Grande) to Troyer (Coach Cherkov) to Kingsley (Guru Tugginmypudha).
People will rip this movie and rip Myers for creating a new character that is too similar to Austin Powers. Myers is right up near the top of movie franchise actors - Wayne's World, Austin Powers, and Shrek. He takes another stab at a franchise character with Guru Pitka. I mean the possibilities are endless if the box office numbers will support it. The formula is easy. Two characters need relationship help. Guru Pitka to the rescue. 1.5 hours of nonsense. Personally, I hope it doesn't go the franshise route. I'd rather see Myers do a movie that looks more like So I Married an Axe Murderer than Austin Powers - Goldmember. Let's hope Myers sees The Love Guru as an early attempt at franchise success and create something different.
No comments:
Post a Comment