Yesterday I took in most of the 10AM draw at the Canadian National Wheelchair Curling Championships at the West Kildonan Curling Club. I walked in as teams were having practice time.
Provincial jackets, crests, coaches, officials, volunteers, etc. All top notch stuff that you would expect at a national curling championship level. I didn't see (or hear) any pipers but I'm told they were at the opening ceremonies. I was impressed with the organization and look of the event before the first rock was thrown. It also made me miss the Brier. Seeing an Ursel name bar on a team jacket and the fact that the Nova Scotia skip had a big white beard made the two events even more similar.
My friend and I kept a close eye on two games. Team Manitoba - Host vs Alberta and Team Manitoba vs Ontario. The host team was playing on sheet 141. That's a curling sheet I'll never forget because it was there that I made my first appearance in the MCA bonspiel just last year.
I'm not going to explain the rules or systems of wheelchair curling. I encourage you to check out the action at the West Kildonan Curling Club this week or check out regular league play there on Friday nights. If you want to learn more about it at your computer than head to the wheelchair curling link under the PEBBLE section of this site.
I do have some general comments and thoughts. Here it goes...
Lead Rocks - the event had 3 things that I am in favor of and if you are a regular reader you know them by now - Host Team, Northern Ontario, shorter games.
Games were 6 ends. That's a little too short but I love the idea of shorter games. 8 ends would be perfect in my opinion.
Not every province was represented at the event but Northern Ontario was and I think that speaks volumes about that regions participation in the sport of curling and why they should continue having a representative at the men's level.
If you need to promote the event and sell tickets then there's no better way than having a solid Host team. A lot of major events have a host team. It's also a great reward or incentive for the amount of volunteer hours to host the event.
Second Rocks - No sweeping! Can you take such an important function out of the game and still call it curling? I talked with some friends about the event and we debated that question. Sweeping is so huge to shot making. Anyone who curls has had sweepers make or miss a shot for you. Ray and Linda on TSN constantly talk about the importance of sweepers. In wheelchair curling there is no sweeping. I don't claim to be an expert in this area and I don't play the sport so maybe I have no right to even bring it up but it was just something that crossed my mind and obviously others have opinions on it too. My opinion is of course you can call it curling even though such an important aspect is out of the game. Same playing surface, same scoring system, same rocks, etc. It also has the same atmosphere. People in the lounge watched and discussed the games the same way we did at the MTS centre for the Brier. You could also see the same curling etiquette on the ice between players that's such an identifiable part of the game. I'm not involved in the growth of the sport but I wonder if wheelchair curling has considered a sweeping method or not. It doesn't really matter for now. I think it's a great sport and a very attractive option for wheelchair users interested in curling, sports or just being active.
Third Rocks - there's a blurb about the West Kildonan Curling club on the website link. Check it out. Kudos to the club for being proactive and making the necessary arrangements and accommodations to allow people with physical disabilities opportunities to be active in curling and the community. It's really great to see inclusive thinking, creativity and determination. It's also really smart. More clubs should look at the steps WKCC has taken and get a plan in place to get on par.
Skip Rocks- apparently some of the curlers from Team Atlantic or Team Nova Scotia are from Sackville, Nova Scotia. This was a tidbit a curling spectator passed my way. So if anyone from Sackville finds their way to this site I'd like to say I'm from Sackville too...Sackville Street, here in Winnipeg, Manitoba, the curling capital. Enjoy your stay here on this site but I encourage you to come to Winnipeg for the MCA next year. After all, that first game on sheet 141 for me was against a team from Halifax.
Thursday, March 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment