Sunday, March 16, 2008

Last Rocks Mini Pack

I've been at the MTS Centre for the Brier utilizing my Tim Horton's Brier last rocks mini pack.

Things did turn around after that terrible Wednesday. My face is still sore from the bus pole mishap and I've answered repeated questions about the mark on my face but I did prevail and finished off the Brier experience in good spirits.

There is one more game left. That's obviously the final. Alberta plays Ontario. Kevin Martin vs Glen Howard. It's who you would have expected to be in the final. It's how they got there that was the surprise. Martin advanced from the Page playoff 1-2 game thanks to a terrible misfortune from Pat Simmons of Saskatchewan. Only needing an open hit and stay for the win with the last rock, Simmons go the worst of all breaks when his rock 'picked' some junk off the ice and spun sideways creating the miss. Martin won. It was devastating and heartbreaking for Team Saskatchewan. They put on a good effort in the Page playoff semi final vs Ontario but Howard came out on top.

Simmons was on the verge of tears in the media scrum after being eliminated. He lost his Brier final appearance (and something like 20 grand in CBC 'performance fees') all because of bad luck. I gave Pat a nod in the Patch and a "good Brier" but a few words from a drunkin' local won't heal the pain.

A few quick hits and draws about the Brier before I head for the final...

Lead Rocks - I was glad to get a chance to speak with Kerry Burtnyk. I told him it was always a pleasure to watch him curl and I meant it. I have my doubts he will return to the Brier. I think his team may make a change at Lead but otherwise will stick together until the 2009 Olympic Trials or 2010 Olympic games. If Burtnyk really wanted to mix things up I'd suggest recruiting Reid Carruthers to play Vice-Skip, drop Kammerlock to 2nd and Daneault to lead. That would leave the likable Garth Smith out in the cold and rock the former Carruthers team.

Second Rocks - Attendance has been solid in my opinion. We should reach about 160 000 and that's pretty darn good. The comparisons to Calgary and Edmonton are unfair. Both have a much bigger audience to draw from and have larger venues.

Third Rocks - I was disappointed in the Saturday Patch entertainment choice of Willie Mack and The Roadhammers. I don't think Winnipeg is a country music city and it doesn't fit the bill of "legends of rock". It's really a shame that the Weakerthans were not a headliner this week.

Skip Rocks - Ten end games are too long. It's maybe a sign of my stage of life. With a wife and toddler it's difficult to sit and watch 3.5 hour games for 10 days. It just can't be done. I took my family to the game on Friday and again Saturday afternoon. I'm blessed with a pretty well behaved kid so it went well but the game is far too long. Slam games are 8 ends and I feel the Brier and other Season of Champions events should go that route too. The fan should be able to watch a game in 2 hours...even 2.5 hours tops.

I'm looking forward to the final. I'm not an overly emotional guy but I've always had a bit of trouble with endings. I blame my brother for crying at the end of Littlest Hobo every time. It's been a good experience and I trust Martin and Howard will put on a good show to close things out. I'm hoping Howard wins...for Pat's sake.

3 comments:

mommy besieged said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mommy besieged said...

Yeah, you'd think with all the hype about the Weakerthans' "curling song" they would have been sure things at the Brier. What an opportunity lost. Ah... but apparently they were headlining the Vinyl Cafe that was recorded here this weekend. I deleted the comment above on account of typos!

From the Sackside said...

I heard the Weakerthans have a making of the album type video online somewhere and it has footage of them curling here in Winnipeg. They are mainstage at the Folk Fest this summer.