That was Ontario Skip Glen Howard previewing the 2008 Tim Horton's Brier final. He did say "I think hopefully we will both go out and play to our abilities" leading up to the comment but everyone thought, including the skips of both teams, that the final was going to be one for the ages. I can tell you that it wasn't.
It was a poorly played game and I was quite surprised. The teams did not play to their abilities.
So as I sat in section 309 at the MTS centre with my family and friends and thought about how two great curling teams could lay such an egg.
Oh, maybe I should first mention that Kevin Martin and Team Alberta won 5-4 to go undefeated the entire event and become the 2008 champions. For Martin, it is his 3rd Brier victory and for the rest of his young team it's their first.
(NOTE - Remember, this site is 'under construction' and I haven't figured out yet if I want to have more commentary/editorials or more fact based sports stories. I'd like to try and blend the two.)
Because I was in section 309 and had the pleasant distractions of the company of friends and the restlessness of a toddler I wasn't afforded the luxury of CBC commentary on the game. So here is my take from the cheap seats on the poor performance.
1. Nerves - all good players are subject to butterflies.
2. Fatigue - it's a bloody long week for these guys and there really can't be much gas left in the tank. Even Martin's post game comments were tired and unenthusiastic.
3. Ice condition - it's a bloody long week for the ice and the ice maker too...it starts to change.
4. Final games go faster - There's always a "lets get the feet wet and not lose this thing in the first half of the game". Then boom...the game is almost over. I remember this happening for Olympic Men's hockey too.
So both guys laid an egg and Martin just happened to have a few better shots and opportunities. He put his last rock on the button to win and that's always cool to see.
Martin takes his undefeated streak down the road to Grand Forks for the World Men's Curling in April. For Howard he missed a chance to punch his Ferby Four pass to Edmonton's Roar of the Rings in 2009. It doesn't matter. He will qualify soon enough and same with Martin and the two will be the leading favorites to represent Canada in the Olympics in Vancouver. There's a good chance the two will meet in the final in Edmonton.... and it could be one of the best games ever.
Sunday, March 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment