Monday, June 23, 2008

A New Slugger in the Family

I love Winnipeg but I do miss my family in Brandon. I wish I had seen my niece Emily play ball this season. She just finished her first baseball tournament last week-end. I'm told she went 2 for 3 in the Gold Medal game but her team - the Racers - dropped the final game after going 3-0 leading up to the final.

Check out Emily at the plate. Look closely at the upright stance with the bat held high, feet not too far apart but slightly open, imposing her height on the opponent, head square to the pitcher, etc...you can tell she is coached well. In emailing my brother today we agreed she had a similar stance as Andres Galarraga (check the photo below). The Big Cat was a fan favorite of ours when he was playing with the Montreal Expos. The Cat would later play stints in Colorado, Atlanta, and a few other places. Back to E's picture...check out a few other things..1 - the catcher looks as if a bench coach is relaying in signs for pitch selection. I seriously doubt it but I'm going to run with that thought. 2 - I feel badly that the third base player is not paying attention because it would appear the little Cat may dead pull a ball and that could spell trouble.
-the little Cat



-the big Cat







No comments: