Tuesday, May 27, 2008

2007 Stanley Cup remake

Okay, this Stanley Cup final is looking a little too familiar. Are the Penguins trying to put on the same performance as Ottawa did last year in the final? Is this a CBC Stanley Cup 2007 remake?
It looks that way with Hal Gill playing the role of Wade Redden - a flat footed defenseman making sluggish plays. Then there's Gary Roberts starring as Chris Neil in the no talent "grinder" role trying embarrassingly to "get something going". But the real stars are Michel Therrien as the inept and confused Coach Murray and Evegeni Malkin as Jasson Spezza. The rising superstar that becomes overwhelmed and tanks the final playing out the final games no better than an ECHL call up would do. Don't miss the cameo by Mr. Invisible - Syd Crosby.

The Penguins aren't showing up at all. I'll give Detroit credit for playing sound hockey but it would be nice to see them face some adversity in the Cup final. I mean talk about a gift the Penguins are giving them. Don Cherry said it best when he described some of the Penguin play as "criminal" for NHL standards. It's not the first time the Wings have had an easy Cup final. 2002 - Carolina (4-1), 1998 - Washington (4 -0), 1997 - Philadelphia (4-0).

I don't have a favorite in this series to cheer for. I'm just hoping for a good series to be salvaged and for CBC to stop showing the goofy looking Ken Holland and his even goofier looking sidekick sitting so uncomfortably close in the sky box. If Detroit manages to score the first goal in Game 3 there won't be a series so I'll cheer for Osgood to shutout the Penguins the entire series and then have fun watching the critics try and describe his play. "Points for staying awake" was the last I heard on CBC when announcing his first star selection. He has 13 career playoff shutouts and is on the verge of 2 cup rings. What else does this guy have to do?

Let's get this thing over with and start NFL training camps.

No comments: