Thursday, April 3, 2008

The NFL Triactor

A Detroit Lion fan once told me I was only allowed to cheer for 1 NFL team. I've ignored that rule and have rooted for both the Vikings and Bengals over the past 3 or 4 years. I figure I can cheer for an AFC team and an NFC team and get away with it. Football fans are pretty die hard and many of them only bleed one team's color. I don't have any problem with cheering for a few teams and I'd recommend it to anyone, especially a Lions fan.

The Vikings are essentially a home team for Winnipeg. It's an easily doable road trip to see the Purple at the Dome. I've been twice and hope to go back down this year. As long as I'm planted in the 'peg I'll be rooting for the Vikes.

The other team I cheer for is the Bengals. Carson Palmer is my franchise player in my Fantasy Football keeper league. I've also kept TJ Houshmandzadeh a few years in a row now too. The league format is 2TE, 4WR, 2QB, 2RB, 1K, 1Def with a huge roster and 4 keepers. Yes, you read that right. It's not your average league. More details on that when Fantasy Football season rolls around.

Back to the Bengals. Everything was going right for them in 2005 until Steelers DT Kimo von Oelhoffen's questionable hit on Palmer's knee in the AFC wild card game. Palmer had just hooked up with WR Chris Henry on an awesome bomb but both ended up hurt on the play and were unable to return. Steelers won the game and went on to win the Superbowl. It hasn't been the same for the Bengals since.

Pro Bowl WR Ocho Cinco is making a stink and is seeking a trade.

WR Chris Henry is back in trouble again. Another suspension is quite possible.

The normally reliable RB Rudi Johnson only played 11 games last year battling injuries. The 2007 2nd round pick, RB Kenny Irons, tore his ACL in a pre-season game and didn't play last year.

The Defense was near the bottom of the league in most categories. INTs and scoring TDs were the only bright spot but when you rank last in sacks and are near the bottom in points allowed and total yards allowed it's a sign other teams are having a field day on you.

It's just a real mess for the Bengals. Only 3 years ago they were a team with great upside and Superbowl visions. They had a franchise QB, prime time receivers, reliable RB and a good enough defense. The only Ohio team you can describe that way now is the Browns.

Fortunately I have two favorite teams. So being down on the Bengals I'll turn my attention to the Vikings for now with their exciting news. Vikes are chasing veteran back-up QB Gus Frerotte and have a deal pending. Great, just what I wanted.....

Can I cheer for 3 NFL teams?

No comments: