Friday, April 11, 2008

NFL Draft Not a Long Way Off

The Miami Dolphins are in contract talks with OT Jake Long from Michigan. In the high stakes of the NFL draft this could mean any number of things. 1. The Dolphins are seriously interested in taking Jake Long and want to start up negotiations. 2. It's a bluff to leverage a trade from someone who desperately wants Jake Long. 3. It's pitting players vs players in contract talks as the article suggests. The Dolphins will almost certainly be negotiating soon with DE-LB Chris Long from Virginia and other top 5 calibre prospects (Dorsey, Ryan, McFadden) for the same reasons listed above.

I've read quite a bit about the draft the past few days. I'm in a NFL draft pool so I'm not going to tip my hand here. I'll likely post my mock draft just minutes before the draft on April 26th.

I'm not sure why the Pats were able to keep the #7 pick (via 49ers from last year's draft day deal) and the league nullified the Pats' original pick (second last in the first round) due to spygate. Why didn't the league take the better of the picks away? The Dolphins have first pick in the second round but it really is the 32 pick overall which in a normal year is the last pick of the first round. This year that player isn't a first rounder because there is a "nullified" pick in the first round. With money tagged to certain spots in the draft I wonder if it's going to cost the first player picked in the second round any dollars. Seems a bit goofy.

No comments: